Poets Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Poetry Competition League. Will be discussing rules, contenders, divisions, and more.

3 posters

Current Rule Bumps

Convalesce
    Convalesce
    Admin

Current Rule Bumps Empty Current Rule Bumps

Post  Convalesce Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 am

Here are a few things that absolutely NEED to be discussed.

Date and Times: I was thinking we have all the battles on one day, week by week. For shits and giggles, I'll say Saturday. Now, Monday and Tuesday would be break day. Take 2 days off, during these 2 days, voting will go on. On Wednesday, the voting will be shut off, and the next week would continue.

I was also thinking we could have it every 2 weeks, to not have pressure on the Poets. Poets live busy lives as it is, don't want to pressure them with writing so much. So I was thinking have a battle every 2 weeks for availability. have it on Saturday, and allow voting to commence for a few days. 3 - 4 at the most. Then the new set of Battles will be posted, and so - on.

How to decide a winner: This one I'm having trouble with.

I was thinking of just having the poets vote on the battles they aren't in. But I don't want biased opinions because they face that person the week after. Or because they don't want to go head-to-head against them in the play offs.

Anonymous Voters was mentioned. But we'd have to have a set of people who would vote, time in and time out, who wouldn't mind not participating in the contest.

Mods. Have a set of mods vote for the poetry (judges) 3+ judges would vote. I'd hand pick these mods, knowing they are un-biased against anyone and everyone.

Suggestions suggestions!

Length of Poetry: I was thinking 8 - 12 lines. What do you think?
    Annihilation
    Annihilation

Current Rule Bumps Empty Re: Current Rule Bumps

Post  Annihilation Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Every two weeks might be a bit much for someone going into them time after time again, I think once a month to start...And if it gets big, add more.

Mods...Would be the best way to go, hand picked so you know they're not bias, and three independent eyes on one piece. Again, as it grows you could add more accordingly.

We just need to get big now, that's the fun part...I've done this a bit before, give me a shout if you want some help. Cool
    Intoxicated Brutality
    Intoxicated Brutality

Post  Intoxicated Brutality Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 pm

As for date and times, I think those are good. Having the battles on Saturdays should help with people being able to do it. And maybe, you can arrange it so that if someone knows they won't be able to when they're scheduled (ahead of time, at least a few days) you can switch the participants out. Because sometimes things just happen and even Saturday won't be do-able.

The voting, I'd say having it open from the time after the battle is over, until Wednesday would be a wise choice. Then more people will get to vote and it won't be as much of a rush for people to vote.

Personally, for the voting. I think having Mods would be best. Mainly because by having multiple people tallying scores (if you completed like a score rubric for them to follow when judging) you'll have less problems with bias, even if one of them had a bias for a certain poet participating or anything. Only thing is, then they wouldn't really be able to participate in battles unless you figured out a way to arrange it so they could without things being unfair.

As for length, I say lower it to 5 lines at the minimum (because personally, I'd like to experiment and see if I can make very short works that are really well composed) and say 12 at the general max. You'll just have to keep in mind some pieces may need more than 12 lines to get the writers point across. Maybe you could do a score rubric that awarded an extra point or two for not exceeding 12 lines, and to keep it fair have another slot to add an extra one or two points if it IS over 12 lines (none if the judge thought the extra lines unneeded, one if they were kinda worth it, and two if they for sure were, etc).

If you want some ideas for a rubric, or want help with anything, just let me know!

Also....this smiley made me laugh. Just saying. afro
    Convalesce
    Convalesce
    Admin

Post  Convalesce Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Once a month MIGHT drag it out for some, but, it might also be enough time to write some poetry and not stress anyone out right away.

Convalesce
    Convalesce
    Admin

Post  Convalesce Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Intoxicated Brutality wrote:As for date and times, I think those are good. Having the battles on Saturdays should help with people being able to do it. And maybe, you can arrange it so that if someone knows they won't be able to when they're scheduled (ahead of time, at least a few days) you can switch the participants out. Because sometimes things just happen and even Saturday won't be do-able.

The voting, I'd say having it open from the time after the battle is over, until Wednesday would be a wise choice. Then more people will get to vote and it won't be as much of a rush for people to vote.

Personally, for the voting. I think having Mods would be best. Mainly because by having multiple people tallying scores (if you completed like a score rubric for them to follow when judging) you'll have less problems with bias, even if one of them had a bias for a certain poet participating or anything. Only thing is, then they wouldn't really be able to participate in battles unless you figured out a way to arrange it so they could without things being unfair.

As for length, I say lower it to 5 lines at the minimum (because personally, I'd like to experiment and see if I can make very short works that are really well composed) and say 12 at the general max. You'll just have to keep in mind some pieces may need more than 12 lines to get the writers point across. Maybe you could do a score rubric that awarded an extra point or two for not exceeding 12 lines, and to keep it fair have another slot to add an extra one or two points if it IS over 12 lines (none if the judge thought the extra lines unneeded, one if they were kinda worth it, and two if they for sure were, etc).

If you want some ideas for a rubric, or want help with anything, just let me know!

Also....this smiley made me laugh. Just saying. afro

Lmfao. That is amazing.

And yes, I agree with all of your points.

I was thinking of having 3 mods. And (depending on body of work, and how many poets there are, of course. We would scale up. But I am using 3 for an example)

Have all 3 mods take care of all the battles other than their own. Although, it would mean they get 1 less vote. So maybe have an extra Mod just to vote the Mods poetry.

Idk, The voting is going to be a problem. lol

What a Face <---- Now that's a creeper face.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:23 pm